The Church

St John's is a fine 12th Century Norman church built upon the site of an earlier Saxon church. Remains in the crypt date back to the 8th Century.

A feature of the church is the two storey gabled and timbered porch added in the 16th Century. The room over the porch is now the vestry but was originally the first school room in the village. The pegs for the boys hats and the benches are still there.


Much of the woodwork in the church was carved this century by the famous wood carver Robert Thompson. His mark is a mouse and nine such marks can be found in the church.


The south wall of the chancel has some grotesque marks carved under the eaves. These were supposed to protect the church from any influence of evil. The remains of two 'scratch dials' can also be traced on this wall. They were used by the priest to tell the time for the services. Near the dials is the grave of Maud Watson, the first woman Lawn Tennis Champion at Wimbledon.


 

Miss Watson was the daughter of a former rector and lived next door to the church in the Old Rectory, a fine red brick Georgian house, now a private home called 'The Well House'.

Another remarkable feature of the church are the two Norman crypts. The Eastern part was built around 1150 and the octagonal or Western end later in the same century

 

 

 
Robert Thompson's mouse
The Wellhouse
The Crypt

Start your VIRTUAL TOUR here